Highfield Level 2 Functional Skills English Qualification.
How long will it take me to achieve this qualification?
This qualification can be achieved using a variety of teaching and learning methods including classroom-based delivery, distance learning and embedded learning, the recommended learning hours must be completed. The GLH for this qualification is 55 hours; however, teaching time depends largely on the mode of delivery and the individual learner’s needs.
About the course
This qualification is designed for learners who wish to develop their skills in English to help them gain the most from work, education and everyday life. Its assessment requires the learner to apply skills-based and problem-solving techniques in realistic settings. Functional skills qualifications are recommended for learners over the age of 14.
The qualification is suitable for delivery in a wide range of learning environments and can be taken as a stand-alone qualification or as part of a wider programme of study. Learners undertaking an apprenticeship will need to successfully complete functional skills, or prove their exemption, in order to pass through the gateway.
How will I be assessed?
This qualification includes three mandatory components:
1. Speaking, listening & communicating – This component is internally assessed and learners must complete two assessed tasks:
- A formal presentation and Q&A (approximately 15 minutes)
- A group discussion (approximately 15 minutes)
2. Reading – Learners must complete one written examination that is set, marked and moderated by Highfield Qualifications. Learners must answer a series of questions using three texts based on real-life contexts. (1 hour)
3. Writing – Learners must complete one written examination that is set, marked and moderated by Highfield Qualifications. Learners must complete two writing tasks based on purposeful contexts. All tasks must be completed. (1 hour)
The reading and writing examinations are available on-demand in both an on-screen and a paper-based format.
Learners successfully completing this qualification may wish to progress on to GCSE English qualification.
This course will be delivered via our sister company at Acacia Training & Development Ltd.